Industry - Accounting Auditing, Bookkeeping, Industry - Restaurant and Food Services
4 Year Degree
Responsible for the development, implementation, and execution of food-protein based safety and regulatory compliance programs for Jack in the Box, Inc. ingredients and product categories, including providing expertise to suppliers, distribution system, restaurant operations and business unit partners to ensure products meet food safety standards/specifications and all government regulations (Federal, State and Local). Jack in the Box Inc. encompasses food safety and regulatory programs for two restaurant chains, Jack in the Box and Qdoba Mexican Eats. Primary area of focus is beef processing and ingredient management.
• Oversees supplier compliance to Jack in the Box, Inc. FSRC Food Safety Standards by means of plant audits/visits, third party audits review and plant documents/data reviews in accordance with Jack in the Box, Inc. FSRC Food Safety Standards /requirements; identifies potential or existing food safety and/or process issues; partners with suppliers to implement appropriate corrective, preventive and proactive action(s), keeps abreast of new regulatory requirements and technologies affecting Jack in the Box, Inc. products.
• Partners with the Jack in the Box, Inc. beef category team to ensure a safe and consistent supply of ingredients and suppliers, including: conducts on-site facility audits and approves or disapproves potential suppliers based on food safety risk assessments; conducts ongoing food safety assessment of ingredient supplier performance and communicates directly with supplier’s management; develops strategic business relationships with supplier-partners; consults with supplier’s technical departments to ensure optimal process performance through continuous monitoring and improvement to prevent food safety issues; communicates food safety information to suppliers through on-site visits or verbal/written communication; obtains supplier and management commitment to food safety specifications; confirms compliance with ingredient safety specifications and regulatory requirements; consults with supplier and/or R&D to implement process changes that would impact food/ingredient safety as necessary during commercialization of new products. Identifies suppliers who do not meet product specifications in accordance with Jack in the Box, Inc. FSRC Food Safety Standards; recommends supplier approval/disapproval to management.
• Serves as the Food Safety Technical Lead for alternate supplier projects and ensures the acceptability of the alternate supplier’s facility and food safety systems, by conducting on-site audits during the commercialization of the alternate supplier’s product; and recommends approval or disapproval of the alternate supplier upon completion of audits/testing. Serves as a Food Safety Subject Matter Expert for all new products in the beef category. Develops microbiological testing requirements and confirms critical control points for safe and consistent food product manufacturing. Partners with the category team in developing and finalizing the product specification.
• Consults with Quality Hotline personnel in responding to irregular restaurant and/or distribution incidents affecting food safety and provides support and counsel to Technical Service group for quality issues. Investigates and responds to alleged food safety incidences; determines severity of the issue and immediately addresses or consults with department management on corrective action required, including: placing potential non-compliant product on hold at the supplier or distribution centers; retrieving non-conforming product from restaurants; and/or initiating recall procedures. Partners with supplier to investigate root causes of food safety issues and implements timely and effective corrective and/or preventive actions, as appropriate.
• Recommends procedures to improve product safety: initiates research, analyzes test results, and updates specifications as required. Approves product/procedure changes and conducts or assigns testing to confirm product acceptability. Partners with cross-functional departments and /or distribution centers to provide food safety and regulatory expertise for process/program improvement.
• Bachelor's degree in Meat and/or Food Science, Microbiology, Animal Science, or related field. Advanced degree is preferred. HACCP certification is required. Knowledge of auditing process and GFSI standards is desired.
• 5-7 years of relevant food safety and/or quality manufacturing experience of demonstrated progressive responsibility is required (especially in the beef/protein industry). Management experience desired.
• Requires in-depth knowledge of food industry product safety and quality assurance principles and practices, food processing and distribution, especially related to raw and RTE beef products and animal proteins; thorough knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP, especially US version), HACCP systems, auditing systems/process, sanitation, process capabilities analysis and crisis management systems; full understanding of government regulatory requirements for products (State and Local, Federal: USDA/FSIS regulations, FDA regulations, including the food code); strong knowledge of food microbiology, chemistry, and statistical process control and SSOP.
• Ability to travel to supplier facilities, distribution centers, restaurants, and other locations approximately 25% -35% of time as business needs require. International travel may be necessary.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
About Jack in the Box
Jack in the Box Inc. (NASDAQ: JACK), based in San Diego, is a restaurant company that operates and franchises Jack in the Box® restaurants, one of the nation's largest hamburger chains, with more than 2,200 restaurants in 21 states and Guam.